Study Tips

I was never any good at studying when I was younger. I would get distracted very easily and I really wasn't disciplined when it came to doing anything with school. Over the years I would say that I've grown and matured in this aspect and I've changed my studying techniques so many times and finely found a technique that is working. Just a disclaimer, I am in no way saying that this is definitely going to work for you and result in amazing grades. I am simply writing this to give you an insight on what might help as these tips have worked for me and I would like to share them.

1. The very first thing you want to do, which, might sound ridiculous is to actually clear your room! Having clothes and what not scattered around the room actually clutters your mind. Cleaning your room provides a clean and larger environment making your brain feel like it's not enclosed in such a small space. This is the first step to regaining focus.

2. DO NOT KEEP YOUR PHONE, IPAD OR LAPTOP NEXT TO YOU. Seriously, eliminate any electronics from your view. If you can't see it, you're less likely to get distracted because it's not in your reach. I personally like the put all my electronics behind me and switching my phone and ipad to silent mode. This will ensure that you are not distracted from any incoming texts, emails or any other notifications.

3. This might be the most obvious one but get enough sleep! Our bodies actually go into deep sleep between the hours of 1am and 6am so if you're sleeping at 2am your body isn't getting enough deep seep resulting in waking up like you only slept for a couple of hours. With that said this might be obvious, don't study till early hours of the morning.

4. Eat healthy. Plain and simple. Not only is this good for your body but eliminating fried and fatty foods could also eliminate that clogged and clouded feeling in the front part of your head, just above your eyes.

5. Keep a bottle of water near you! When we study, or at least when I study, I get bored very easily and I'll find any excuse to get up to eat, drink or smoke. I personally like to fill a flask with hot green tea because it's my favourite drink, it's healthy and it hydrates my body. This also prevents me from getting up every 10 minutes which can be very disrupting.

6. Take regular breaks. If you study hours on end you're gonna burn out faster and not want to study anymore because your brain has had enough. Study for around an hour or so and take a 10 minute break. Go for a walk around the house or do some stretching to refresh your mind. DO NOT WATCH VIDEOS! Answering texts is fine but be careful and discipline yourself. Watching videos or going on Tumblr/Instagrm/Twitter can keep you occupied for hours and can be hard to decide when to stop. If there is my favourite tv show on, I personally like to watch it first just to make sure I don't stop studying halfway just to watch it. I like to get it out of the way.

7. If you're tired or have a huge headache from studying too much, just stop for the day. There's no point in forcing yourself to study more at the point because your brain won't absorb any of the information. With that said, I don't mind the second you feel sleepy or bored you should and don't make it an excuse! What I mean to say is if you've really been studying properly for a while and you just can't push yourself anymore, that's when you should stop.

8. My last tip can only come from yourself. Force yourself to study. I always think about my future and my life goals. I really want to get married and have a family. I want to be able to support them and give them everything they want and need and the only way I can do that is if I study hard and work for a good job. I certainly don't want to end up working at Mc Donald's or something so I'm constantly pushing myself.

I'll be posting a part 2 on actual studying techniques and what I do to get all that information engraved in my brain. I hope this post will help you find your way to better studying days!

Comments