First Semester in University

I'm not gonna lie. School has always been a struggle for me. I was never the studious type and to be honest I would rather be in an acting school or blogging. I have a wild imagination and ever since I was younger I knew I wanted to be an actress/singer but I guess my path took me in another direction. I'm the type of person that puts music in my ears while I'm on the bus just to look out the window and imagine an epic scene in a movie and I would be the main actress (I know I'm not the only one). I even started writing a book featuring yours truly. 

I knew that none of that was in the cards for me, I mean I'm from Malta which provided absolutely no opportunity for me to do this seriously and the odds of me going to the US and making something of myself wasn't very high even if I did get on a plane and go. So I decided to go with something else that interested me and that was Psychology.

I started my first semester at James Cook University in March and so far it's been pretty sweet. The first semester is coming to an end and I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm a university student. After trying to many times and failing, I never thought I would make it this far but I didn't give up and I managed in the end, let's just hope I don't screw it up this time.

On a brighter note, the atmosphere in JCU is amazing. I made friends super fast and I'm still friends with them. It was really easy to fit in and to find my way around the school. The only thing that made me uncomfortable was the fact that this campus is in Aljunied which is right next to Geylang. For those of you who are reading and don't know these places, Geylang is pretty much the red light district of Singapore. I feel very uncomfortable walking to and from school no matter what time of the day it is. I really don't understand why they would move the new campus to that area (apart from the fact that it's cheap). It's an Australian University and gives the school a really bad name. The campuses in Ang Mo Kio and Upper Thomson were just fine.

The first semester actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I personally hate first days because I'm very shy at first and I usually won't approach people but there were students who approached me first and I managed to blab from there haha. The only major incident I encountered was on the first day. So when I walked into the school I had absolutely no idea where I was going. There were a couple of men directing the students to the classes and one man told me that my first class (which was at 9am so I was in no mood for bullshit) was on floor so and so room bla bla bla. When I arrived at said room, there was absolutely no one in there. I was totally confused so I started gallivanting around the school trying to find someone who worked there to tell me where the hell I was supposed to go. Finally I found someone who led me to the right class and, of course, I walked in late and EVERYONE was staring at me.... Great way to start the first day right? To make things worse I forgot to scan my finger print for my attendance because I was so frustrated and worked up. I don't know about other universities but JCU has a fingerprint scanner near the door of every classroom and that's how our attendance is recorded. So I had to find the person in charge of attendance and tell them that I was given the wrong room so I was late for class. I was so stressed out but everything was fine thereon out.

I'm not usually the type of person to plan really far ahead, I just live day by day and that's a problem with Psychology because I have no idea where I'm gonna go with it once I graduate. Am I going to specialize? Am I going to work with Human Resources? Am I going to work towards my PHD? That's in like 3 to 4 years time so I haven't really given it much thought. I think it's better to take things step by step and give myself time to be engulfed by the subject and see which one really clicks.

Comments