My Thoughts on the LGBT Community

I've been wanting to type up this post for a while now but I just didn't even know where to start and to be honest I still don't know how and I have no idea where this post is gonna go so bear with me and my train wreck of thoughts.


To put it very simply and to the point, I don't believe in supporting or not supporting this community because I believe that what people feel in this scenario is normal. I don't understand how people can say it's a sin to be gay or to be transgender because no one else is walking in their shoes except that person. I feel very strongly about this because I believe it's a human right. It's like telling someone who's going through a divorce that it's a sin to feel upset and hurt. What right does a person have to say it's legal or illegal for someone to feel a certain way? They're not hurting anyone.

This is way I'm overjoyed to hear that same sex marriage is finally becoming legal in several countries but at the same time it's sad to hear that a human right is only being made legal after so many years. Just because something isn't the norm, does it make it wrong? I mean, frankly, whether someone is gay or transgender doesn't affect the rest of the population. You'll see them once on the street and you'll probably never see them again, and if you do, so what? They're still human, they still have feelings and should be treated equally.

It's heartbreaking to imagine how many people are so unhappy with their life because they cannot be who they really are inside. Take the case of Caitelyn Jenner; she spent more than 60 years of her life lying to everyone about who she really was. She spent majority of her life in the wrong body because society said it's not acceptable. Caitelyn was brave enough to show everyone the truth and that's something really amazing because it gives other people in the same situation some hope. Many people each year take their own lives because of this and no one feels guilty that they're the reason for it?


Despite what I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion so if you think it's wrong then that's fine, those are your thoughts and there's nothing wrong with it. What's wrong is when you try to impose your thoughts and beliefs onto someone else. If you think being gay is wrong then keep it to yourself but it doesn't mean that everyone thinks being gay is wrong.

I'm always hoping that one day we can live in a less judgmental and more loving society and that is why I am writing this post on behalf of the LGBT community. Even though I am heterosexual, I would still like to live to see the day where being part of the LGBT community is normal and they're not looked down on.

My headmaster always used to say "If you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself."


Comments