21 and Engaged

My boyfriend proposed to me recently and it has honestly been amazing. Knowing that he wants to spend the rest of his life with me as I want to with him is the best feeling in the world. However, it's not going exactly how I want it to go. 

I love my fiancee so much. He is honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me and I will never regret getting engaged at a young age. He's helped me get through my depression and my parents' divorce or not divorce. Long story short my parents were going to get a divorce a few months ago and then decided not to. A few days ago they decided to get a divorce again so I don't really know what to think. He's supported me through so much shit and he's been incredibly patient with me.

I know I've kind of moved on from blogging to Youtube but I feel like if I typed this out, I could explain my situation a little better.

So, yes, I'm 21 and I'm engaged. I don't see anything wrong with it because we're not planning on getting married till we both have a stable job and we've settled down. But some people in my family aren't ok with that. To be honest, I'm not the type of person who cares about what other people think but it just bothers me that some of my family members can't be happy for me because this is what I want. 

I get that I'm young and a lot of people think I'm crazy but at the end of the day it's my life and I will do as I please. I always say "live life for yourself and not for others." I am 100% happy being engaged because my fiancee is the love of my life and I knew from the early stages in our relationship that he was going to be the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I don't need to answer to anyone's rules and traditions.

I just wish my family would support me.

Don't get me wrong, my parents are fine with it, which is the most important part but I guess it would be nice if everyone in my family were ok with it.

So in my country, when a couple get engaged they usually hold an engagement party, which I really want to do. Not because it's a tradition but because I want to celebrate this milestone in our lives and I want my family to celebrate it with me. But I don't think all my family members will joining me. 

Right now I'm in Malta on holiday but my dad is back in Singapore because of work, which I totally understand. I told him that I'm planning on having an engagement party and he expects me to wait 2 years for my fiancee to finish NS (National Service) just because he can't be bothered to get his ass down to Malta to celebrate with me. To make matters worse, he's actually meant to be coming down to Malta anyway to fly with my brother to the U.K. to help him set up for university. So it's not like he has to book an expensive flight here last minute, he just has to move the flight to an earlier date by a maximum of 7 days. 

I want him to be there but I don't think it's fair that I plan MY engagement party according to his schedule. His schedule should be revolving around me because this is supposed to be important, I mean, he's my dad... I know I probably sound like a selfish bitch because the world should be revolving around me or whatever but shouldn't he be making the effort to celebrate? When I texted him that my boyfriend proposed all he said was "congratulations!" He didn't even bother to call me or Skype me. My mum started crying and all I got from my dad is a 1 line response.

I'm hurt and annoyed.

This is supposed to be one of the happiest moments of my life and I just feel miserable. 

Comments